- 5 slices bacon
- 6-8 cups air popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla or maple extract
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces or halves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250° F. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a plate, crumble or chop into chunky pieces and reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and put the popcorn in it, along with the pecans if you’re using them.
- Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and reserved bacon drippings in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. It will foam up at first.
- Quickly pour over the popcorn and stir to coat well, adding the reserved bacon. Tongs work really well for this! Spread onto a cookie sheet or roasting pan and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Cool.
Makes about 7 cups.